Monday, September 21, 2009

Twitter- to Tweet or Not to Tweet?


Twitter is an instant messaging, social network where people post short bursts of thoughts, information and their whereabouts. It is similar to Facebook whereby the people who are your 'followers' (or friends/contact list) are immediately updated with your posted information.

Twitter can be implemented into the classroom as a tool to update parents on what the students are learning or to send reminders for school photo money etc. However I feel that sending an email is just as effective and most parents already have and know how to use email.

I am a person who values face-to-face contact so Blackberries, Facebook, Twitter and alike are tools that I choose to avoid. What ever happened to having lunch together where we actually talk? No Blackberry, no Facebook, no Twitter zones? This does not mean I am ignorant of the new technologies that are available to us in this day and age, I just much prefer using mobile phones or meeting people face to face to have a chat. There are many new innovations out there that I enjoy, just not the ones that involve people making contact through text, I want to hear what people have to say not read about it!

I also feel that Twitter is really for self-serving reasons. I feel that Twitter fails to provide you with any useful information. I don't care if you are on your way to the shops or you just saw Jude Law walking down the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment